Green-Packed Stir Fry
Recipe from Super Natural Cooking by Heidi Swanson. Vegetarian.
Loaded with Greens for St. Patrick’s Day! Eat well, balance out that Guiness!
- Sesame oil
- 8 ounces extra-firm tofu, cut into slices 1 inch long and as thick as a pencil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 small red chiles, chopped
- 1/2 bunch thin asparagus (about 1/2 pound), trimmed and cut diagonally into 1-inch slices
- 1 generous handful of cashews, coarsley chopped
- 4 generous handfuls spinach leaves, stemmed
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 1 small handful fresh mint, slivered
- 1 small handful fresh basil, slivered
- Fine-grain sea salt
When you have all your ingredients prepped, arrange them within arm’s reach of the stove. Heat a small splash of sesame oil in a wok or large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the tofu and cook for a couple of minutes, until the tofu is golden. Remove from the pan.
Add another splash of oil to the wok and, as soon as it’s hot, add the garlic, green onions, ginger, chiles, and asparagus. Stir for 1 or 2 minutes, then add the cashews and spinach and stir for another minute, or until the spinach wilts and collapses. Return the tofu to the pan. Stir in the lime zest and juice and the hoisin sauce. Cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
Remove from the heat and stir in the mint and the basil. Season with enough salt to make the flavors pop, starting with a few generous pinches.
Serves 2 (generously) as a main dish,
4 as a side.