Boost Energy, Burn Fat And Blast Belly Bloat !
Breanne Curran, Trainer, Health Coach & Nutritionist
Summertime brings on the outdoor parties, barbecues and other events with traditional foods like chips, kid snacks, beers, hamburgers and hot dog buns. Eating rolls, buns, creamy salads, chips, and fruit trays, can leave you tired as well as feeling and looking bloated…something no one wants during the summer.
Wouldn’t it be great to know exactly what tasty foods and beverages you can eat without undoing your workouts? Don’t you worry – I’ve got you covered !
Check out Probiotics!
Probiotics are foods with Active Enzymes that help to keep your gut happy and lean. These fermented foods scrub your insides clean, and leave you lighter, leaner and more energetic . Microflora in fermented foods produce B vitamins. B3, B6 and B12 play a critical role in burning fat, preserving muscle and boosting your energy! Once your system is established with lots of B vitamin producing friendly bacteria, you’ll find it easier to digest foods and your belly will flatten! Enzyme and mineral rich superfoods aid digestion, eliminate toxins and restore a healthy ecosystem in your gut.
Probiotics also help in the more efficient processing of proteins found in a lot of summer-fun foods. Digestion of fats are greatly enhanced when they are eaten with lean-belly, fat blasting foods like cultured vegetables, daikon, leafy green salads, apple cider and lemon juice.
And while the menus for summer gatherings always have their share of sweets, cultured vegetables are also a wonderful way to control sugar cravings!
Lucky for you , Probiotic sources are readily available and great to serve at summer get- togethers!
1. Fermented Veg! If you haven’t tried it , you’re missing out. This stuff is fantastic! Seattle has it’s own local brand – FIREFLY. They carry pickled carrots, Kraut, Beets & Kimchee . * find it at PCC, Whole Foods and Farmers Markets around town .
Slam some sauerkraut on a hot dog ! My favorite is Cortido Kraut on top of sausage with some fresh avocado on top. Eat it sans the bun – in a bowl with fork and knife.
A burger patty with goat cheese, mushrooms, and kimchee will thrill your taste buds and leave your belly content !
Asian Slaw Quick Pickled Onion
Try the easy Quick Pickled Onions or Asian Slaw, both with apple cider vinegar and lean belly
approved. (see the recipes below this article)
If you have an event to attend and need to bring a dish, show up bearing these gifts for the host and keep yourself regret-free!
3. KOMBUCHA – SO what about the Beer? My best response is, if you really want weight loss and high performing health , nix it! A great alternative is Kombucha! This is a fermented drink, with good bacteria for your gut. Sip this instead of a beer. It will definitely boost your energy and slim your beltline! The brand I recommend is SYNERGY .
Saunter into your next neighborhood barbecue in your favorite cut-offs and Head Held High! Bring a great Asian Slaw, some pickled carrots or some canned Kraut and a Kombucha!
Slim Belly Side Dishes
¼ cup creamy roasted almond butter
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon ume plum vinegar
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon lime juice
¼ teaspoon fresh ginger, zested (I used a microplane]
7 drops stevia
¼ cup toasted sesame seeds (2 tablespoons for dressing and 2 tablespoons for garnishing)
- Place chopped cabbage and grated carrots in a large bowl (will be about 5-7 cups of veggies)
- In a separate bowl, combine almond butter, vinegars, oil, lime juice, ginger and stevia, mixing thoroughly
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of the sesame seeds
- Stir dressing into bowl with veggies
- Serve, topping with remaining sesame seeds
½ cup apple cider vinegar
2 tsp. raw honey
1 ½ tsp. salt
1 red onion thinly sliced
Whisk first three ingredients and 1 cup water in a small bowl until honey and salt dissolve. Place onion in a jar. Pour vinegar mixture over and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
* Can be made up to 2 weeks ahead, just cover and chill. Drain onions before using.