Pomegranate fruit has gained a great deal of popularity over the years. Originally from the Middle East and Asia, it’s also referred to as the Granada of the Chinese apple.
Features of the Pomegranate
Research from Dr. Joel Fuhrman
- Most powerful anti-oxidant of all fruits
- Potent anti-caner and immune supporting effects
- Inhibits abnormal platelet aggregation that could cause heart attacks, strokes and embolic disease
- Lowers cholesterol and other cardiac risk factors
- Lowers blood pressure
- Shown to promote reversal of atherosclerotic plaque in human sutdies
- Proven to relieves or protect against depression and osteoporsis
A glass of pomegranate juice has more antioxidants than red wine, green tea, blueberries, and cranberries! The red bombshell is rich in phytochemical compounds. Pomegranates contain high levels of flavonoids and polyphenols, potent antioxidants offering protection against heart disease and cancer.
Compounds found only in pomegranates (punicalagins) are shown to benefit the heart and blood vessels. They not only lower cholesterol, but also lower blood pressure and increase the speed at which heart blockages (atherosclerosis) melt away.
Antioxidant Rich Smoothie
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
8 Cups organic baby spinach
1 Cup pomegranate juice
1 Cup Bluebarries, frozen
1 Cup Strawberries, frozen
8 Dates, cut in half
2 Tablespoons flaxseeds, ground
1/2 Avocado, optional
Blend all ingredients together. This is delicious and very healthy! Add 1/2 cup yogurt or kefir and protein powder for a post workout and muscle maintenance tool.
Check out Breanne’s blog each Tues through Dec for yummy, healthy holiday treat alternatives! www.breannetrains.com