Did you know that HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) makes you eat more? That is why it is in a lot of packaged foods.. to sell more, and to make the foods last longer. It triggers a hormone in the body (Ghrelin) that makes us hungry within a short amount of time. Do you know what HFCS is in? A lot of packaged cereals and carb heavy snacks.
yield: about 10 cups
- 4 cups old-fashioned or quick-cooking rolled oats
- 3/4 cup unsalted raw sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds or hempseeds (bit of each is best)
- 1 cup chopped nuts: walnuts, macadamia nuts, cashews, almonds
- 11/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 11/2 cups assorted unsulfured dried fruits (try tropical fruits like dried pineapple and dried papaya), chopped
- Grated zest of 2 oranges
- 3/4 cup raw mild-flavored honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F and set aside 2 rimmed baking sheets.
2. Combine the oats, sunflower seeds, walnuts, coconut, dried fruits, and zest in a large bowl. Heat the honey and coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat, whisk to thoroughly combine, then pour over the oat mixture and stir until everything is well coated.
3. Divide the mixture between the baking sheets and spread into a thin layer. Bake, stirring every 10 minutes, for about 40 minutes, until toasty golden brown. Cool completely, then store in an airtight container at room temperature.